A MEMBER of Seaford Bonfire Society (SBS) could lose the sight in one of her eyes after she was injured during Lewes Bonfire night. Dozens were hurt during the popular event, which saw thousands of people head to the town on Saturday.
Marilyn Binning, from Seaford, was holding a banner at the front of the procession when a firework was dropped in the street, sending debris flying into her face.
Speaking on Monday SBS member Kevin Gordon said, “She was hit by debris and dropped the banner and the procession stopped while we sought medical attention.
“I understand she’s still in hospital at the moment.
“On a positive note we had nearly 60 members turn up which was fantastic for our first Lewes event but the injury to Marilyn cast a shadow over it.”
Mr Gordon said the group would be considering making a formal complaint to the Bonfire Council.
In October a firework display marked the revival of Seaford Bonfire Society. The history dates back to Victorian times and possibly earlier. It seems to have folded around the time of the First World War and was rekindled in the 1970s for about six years.
After organisers rounded up troops to see if there was any interest in getting some colour back into the town permission for the event was granted.
* Several people were arrested during the course of the Lewes Bonfire evening including a 21-year-old man from Seaford. He was arrested for being drunk and disorderly and received a fixed penalty notice.