Sadness as veterans concert is scrapped

AN ANNUAL concert to remember war veterans who gave their lives has been scrapped.

Due to falling audience numbers and the increasing age of some of the standard bearers, the Festival of Remembrance Concert at the Congress will not be held this year.

Last year’s concert, organised by the Eastbourne Combined Ex-Services Association in conjunction with the Borough Council, was the last.

The concerts have been held for a number of years and all profits were disbursed to the member service associations to help with their benevolence activities for veterans requiring assistance.

A spokesperson for the Eastbourne Combined Ex-Services Association said that with falling revenues, the point of diminishing returns has been reached and the decision taken by the association that the time has come to re-focus its efforts.

He said, “The association would like to thank the council for its generous support over many years and also to the many loyal members of the audience who unfailingly attended year on year. In order to ensure some continuity for this loyal band, there will be a band concert, followed by a short service of remembrance at St Andrew’s Church in Seaside on Sunday November 6 at 6pm. All donations from this will go to the RBL Poppy Appeal."

The association is now planning to re-direct its efforts to supporting the Armed Forces weekend in June where the sale of tickets for the concert at 7.30pm on the Saturday evening will go to support the service association’s benevolence efforts.

The association is also urging any eligible veterans, who have not yet been awarded their veterans badge and would like to have it formally presented at the drumhead service on Sunday June at the Redoubt, should call 506012 or 460633 before Saturday May 15 for an application form.