Post office still closed after armed robbery

A business which was hit by an armed robbery is still closed, five weeks after the incident.

The post office in Rosebery Avenue, Hampden Park, was targeted back on the morning of Tuesday April 30 and police searched the area after reporting that a man dressed in a postman’s uniform threatened a female member of staff at the business with a gun.

He is said to have then stolen a quantity of cash from the safe before setting fire to the building.

A 32-year-old has been arrested in connection with the robbery and released on bail until June 17.

Since the incident Eastbourne MP Stephen Lloyd wrote to Post Office Ltd asking for the business to be re-opened as soon as possible, saying the business was a ‘vital service’ in the local area.

Last month Mr Lloyd, who said the crime had been a ‘shock’ to the community, said he was glad that Post Office Ltd was able to offer a shuttle bus to take shoppers to other local premises but it could ony be a temporary measure.

This week he told the Herald, “It’s very frustrating for local businesses and residents in Hampden Park that the Post Office has yet to open.

“I have been in contact with the Post Office managers this week and to be fair to them they have told me that the private landlord of the premises is still compiling the schedule for repairs and insurance.

“I have asked them to keep pressing as the area is badly missing its local post office.”

A Post Office spokesperson said, “The people who run our Post Office branches provide important services to local communities.

“A robbery is very traumatic for the victims and we are supporting the police in their efforts to apprehend those responsible. Post Office is committed to restoring a service to customers as soon as possible.”