Plaque commemorates school

Former Staff and pupils from the Blatchington Court School gathered for the unveiling of a commemorative plaque on the former chapel, the last remaining part of the buildings. May 11th 2013 E20070P'(L to R): Derek McGarvie of the Blatchington Association, Ruth Denton age 97 and former matron of the school who unveiled the plaque, former assistant matron Anita Fish and former head gardener Cyril Edwards.
Former Staff and pupils from the Blatchington Court School gathered for the unveiling of a commemorative plaque on the former chapel, the last remaining part of the buildings. May 11th 2013 E20070P'(L to R): Derek McGarvie of the Blatchington Association, Ruth Denton age 97 and former matron of the school who unveiled the plaque, former assistant matron Anita Fish and former head gardener Cyril Edwards.
0
Have your say

A plaque commemmorating the former pupils of Blatchington Court School for the Partially Sighted was unveiled on MAy 11.

The school was well known and much respected in Seaford until its closure due to government policy in 1985.

Since then many people have moved into Seaford and new houses have been built on part of the site of Blatchington Court School and most people are unaware that a very successful residential school for partially sighted pupils was there.

Derek MacGarvie, former teacher at the school, said, “This plaque on St Peter’s Church Hall which was our school chapel and is the only part remaining is a reminder of the importance of this school and will bring great comfort to the former pupils, their children and grand children.It was a very memorable occasion. “

The Plaque was unveiled by Ruth Denton who was matron at the school from 1955 - 1985.