An Eastbourne resident has said he was ‘baffled’ to find double yellow lines in the busy town centre road opposite his home.
Ian Robertson said he spotted the lines, which take up around nine parking spaces in Southfields Road, on Friday (May 17).
The 53-year-old said he had not been made aware of the restrictions coming into place and had been in touch with East Sussex County Council about the changes.
He added, “I have had no paperwork or anything.
“I’m totally baffled.
“I think it’s outrageous they can so something for no apparent reason without any notification given to me.”
Mr Robertson, who does not have a driveway at his property, said he has ‘no choice’ but to park on the busy road, which already has double yellow lines down one side and the latest addition of further double yellow lines is taking away more spaces for residents in the area to park.
The resident, who has lived there for two-and-a-half years, added, “I can’t understand why residents have been denied the right to a parking space for no apparent reason.”
In response David Weeks, East Sussex County Council team manager for parking, said, “The double yellow lines in Southfields Road have been designed to improve visibility and ensure safe access when entering or exiting the drives to Marlborough Court and Southfields Court.
“The changes were developed during the Eastbourne parking review following two rounds of informal consultation.
“The proposed changes were then formally consulted on in September and October 2012 and after consideration of objections, the final proposals and recommendations were approved by planning committee in December 2012 and residents were sent a letter informing them the works would be taking place.
“The works were scheduled to take place on February 27 but were delayed due to the weather conditions.
“Signs were placed on the street last week by our contractor, NSL, to inform residents and motorists of the revised date for the works.”