Mother and baby moved after fire

Emergency services at the scene

Emergency services at the scene

0
Have your say

A BABY and its parents have had to temporarily move out after a fire ripped through their flat in Meads.

The blaze, which started after a blender caught fire on Monday (February 21), moved from the kitchen and gutted the lounge, according to residents in the apartment block in Meads Street.

The young family have moved to Hove for two weeks while their living room and kitchen are cleaned up.

The baby and its mother were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene before being taken to Eastbourne District General Hospital as a precautionary measure.

The mother managed to alert East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service (ESFRS) to the danger before escaping the flat.

A resident who lives in view of the block above Tesco Express, but did not wish to be named, said, “There were no flames or smoke, there was nothing at all.

“I thought it might have been a training exercise or something.”

Although damage appears to have been limited to the young family’s flat, residents have been advised to check their smoke alarms to see if they work properly.

The fire started when a food processor was left on the cooker hob which had been accidentally turned on.

Luckily the woman noticed the melting food processor on fire and called the ESFRS at 4.49pm before smoke alarms sounded.

Two Eastbourne fire engines sped to the scene and firefighters, using breathing apparatus, entered the building and tackled the blaze with a hose.

An aerial ladder platform was also deployed and firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to check the fire had not spread.

Watch manager for the ESFRS Fleur Wilks said the five-storey building’s state-of-the-art ventilation system had allowed most of the smoke to clear.

This helped firefighters weave their way through the complicated network of corridors and find the fire.

The strong fire doors also helped keep the fire under control and residents were told to stay put.

Watch manager Wilks said, “Any fire door has at least 20 to 30 minutes. These were very good fire doors.

“They (residents) were safe inside their properties as it wasn’t a developing fire and was under control.

“The smoke could have caused a problem and the ventilation helped us with that.”

Firefighters finished their work at 5.40pm.