Coastal Communities Minister Penny Mordaunt visited Eastbourne Pier on Monday (January 19) to view progress on its restoration following the fire.
She was accompanied by Leader of Eastbourne Borough Council, Councillor David Tutt, and Leader of the Opposition, Councillor David Elkin, on a tour of the Victorian attraction which is undergoing extensive repairs after last summer’s blaze destroyed a third of the structure.
The pier was reopened less than two months after the fire and since then further renovations have continued.
The removal of the pier’s fire-damaged steel dome is almost complete and the next stage will be to strengthen the steel substructure of the pier and install new timber decking beneath the arcade.
Meanwhile the pier owners are currently assessing which architectural practice should be awarded the prestigious and unusual task of designing a new building for the pier.
Councillor Tutt said, “It has been wonderful to see people returning to the pier so soon after the fire and traders open for business as usual.
“It’s a testament to the hard work of the pier’s renovation team that good progress is being made, and we look forward to the completion of the next stage which will bring us closer to seeing the pier fully returned to its former glory.”
Councillor Elkin said, “The speed at which work is progressing to restore the pier is amazing and reflects the true grit commitment of the Eastbourne community and business partnerships.”
Penny Mordaunt said, “It is fantastic that Eastbourne’s beloved pier is back on its feet and partly reopened to the public so quickly thanks to the hard work of the local community, the Council, and our emergency services. This government is committed to doing all it can to help the local economy recover and our £2m funding will make a real difference.”