Man found dead in flat died of natural causes – inquest

A HEAVY drinker who was found on the floor of his flat by his landlord died of natural causes, an inquest heard.

Emergency services were called to Langney Road after Trevor Hudson was found by his landlady Maria Leondia who had become concerned because she had not seen him for a couple of days.

An inquest into the 52-year-old’s death at Eastbourne Magistrate Court heard Mr Hudson suffered from the skin condition psoriasis and had a ‘long and difficult’ relationship with alcohol. He had also felt down because of his skin condition and years previously had suffered from suicidal thoughts.

Ms Leondia had helped him to give up four years previously but he had returned to drinking later on. She had told him she did not like him drinking in the flat and the inquest heard no alcohol bottles were found in his room.

He was described by Ms Leondia as being ‘very much his own person’ and that he ‘kept himself to himself’.

She last saw him on Saturday October 1 last year, two days before he was found dead and that he had not been feeling well.

She let herself into his flat on the Monday and found him on the floor with a duvet partially over him and his head on a pillow and cushion.

The inquest heard that the room was untidy but despite being a heavy drinker there was no signs of any bottles being left in the room or any pills to show that he might have taken an overdose.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances and Coroner Alan Craze heard that because the body was so decomposed a cause of death could not be ascertained at post mortem.

Mr Craze recorded a verdict of death from natural causes.