THE PLIGHT of this poorly fox has led to a local wildlife rescuer warning Eastbourne animal lovers to be on the look-out for potential poisons.
Volunteers from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service (WRAS) discovered the stricken vixen in Cedar Close earlier this week. Despite attempts to treat her, the animal died.
She appeared to have been poisoned and, keen to avoid a similar fate befalling other animals, the WRAS has issued a stark warning to pet owners in the area.
WRAS founder Trevor Weeks, said, “Initially we thought the fox might have been a road casualty, but the speed at which the fox went downhill, and the passing of digested blood and bleeding from around the gums and bruising which started to appear three to five hours after rescue, we now suspect poisoning.
“X-rays were taken and a full veterinary assessment was undertaken and no obvious internal damage could be found which you would normally associate with internal bleeding and injuries from a road casualty.
“The fox was placed on a drip and given medication.
“We cannot be 100 per cent sure it is poisoning but our veterinary advisors have come to the conclusion that it is the most likely cause.
“Sadly our rescued fox died overnight despite our best efforts.
“We hope that this fox dying may help prevent a local pet dog or cat from suffering.
“Our worry is that if a fox can pick up the poison then being in a residential area like this it could well be possible for dogs and cats to pick it up too through secondary poisoning by eating a poisoned mouse or rat.”
Among the symptoms the WRAS is urging local owners to look out for are bleeding gums, rejecting food, weakness and being unable to stand up, a mild cough, hair loss and diarrhoea.
Anyone whose pet shows any signs of having been poisoned should call their vet immediately.