DCSIMG

Owners’ anger after attempted break-in at cafe

Jayne and Andrew Brierly owners of Pistachios in Princes Park which was broken into and toys including some for charity, were taken. December 19th 2013 E51037P

Jayne and Andrew Brierly owners of Pistachios in Princes Park which was broken into and toys including some for charity, were taken. December 19th 2013 E51037P

The owner of a business which has suffered an attempted break-in just weeks after thousands of pounds worth of children’s toys were swiped in a burglary has called the culprits ‘mindless idiots’.

Jayne Brierley, who runs Pistachios in the Park cafe with husband Andrew, had a terrible start to the new year after discovering that the shutters had been damaged and there had been an attempt made to get into the cafe.

The premises is based within Princes Park and the damage was uncovered on Thursday last week, just two-and-a-half weeks after the shutters were ripped off before a brick was used to smash the window and break in. On that occasion, as well as taking the large quantity of toys, the waitresses’ tips were also swiped. Businesses and individuals came forward and donated funds and Mrs Brierly met the cost of replacing the children’s toys which were to be given out by Father Christmas, with the money donated by businesses set to replenish the soft play area used by young parents and their children.

Despite the community spirit after last year’s attack on the business the 44-year-old fears that if the cafe keeps getting targeted they will be forced to shut up shop.

She said, “We’re just gutted, we can’t believe that this has happened again. I just feel these mindless idiots are looking to shut us down. We can’t keep shelling out [after being targeted], we’re a small business.

“We’ve been re-investing in this so the community has a place to go to.”

Mrs Brierley said the situation was a ‘nightmare’ and feels Eastbourne Borough Council should be doing more regarding security in the area. She added, “They are supposed to be putting security lighting in but nothing has happened.”

A council spokesperson said, “The council recognised the problems with security in Princes Park and as a result, Councillor Steve Wallis, portfolio holder for the environment, called a meeting with all interested parties in early summer last year following a break in.

“It was decided that anti-climb paint and security lighting would offer a level of protection to the cafe premises.

“The costs of this work was quoted for with the intention of it being a jointly funded initiative between the council and other parties, including the café.

“Unfortunately, the café has so far been unwilling to contribute to this initiative to protect their leased premises.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page