DCSIMG

Hampden Park shop badly damaged after fan heater catches fire

Waiting for Video...
 

A convenience store in Hampden Park has been left badly damaged after a fire broke out in the middle of the night.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to Hampden Food and Wine, on Brassey Parade, at around 1.30am this morning (Thursday 23) after residents in the flats above the shop reported smoke coming through the air vents.

Crews from Eastbourne and Pevensey attended the scene and after breaking into the shop through the roll-down shutters, used four breathing apparatus and a hose reel to tackle the blaze, which was started after a small fan heater was left switched on.

Owner Sid Sharna said, “I got a call at about 3am this morning to tell me there was a fire. Turns out I left the fan heater on. It’s only small but it overheated.

“We’ve already started cleaning up this morning. A lot of the stock has been damaged, so I’m seeing what I’ve got left, but we will definitely be closed for a while - at least a week or two.”

Firefighters were on the scene for around 90 minutes and everybody in the flats above the parade of shops were evacuated from the building and accounted for.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news