DCSIMG

BREAKING NEWS: Fire damaged Eastbourne Pier to be rebuilt

Luke Woodford SUS-140408-173839001

Luke Woodford SUS-140408-173839001

Eastbourne Pier will be rebuilt after the devastating fire which partially destroyed it last week.

Pier manager Christos Stylianou said this morning (Thursday) that insurers have confirmed the damage sustained by the fire is covered by the

company’s insurance policies and work would begin on rebuilding the Grade II listed building.

He also said he hoped the undamaged part of the pier would be open to the public from September onwards.

Christos also paid tribute to his staff who evacuated the Pier and members of the emergency services who stopped the fire from spreading to the entrance and in the other direction towards the nightclub.

“We owe a huge debt of gratitude to East Sussex’s brave fire fighters and the RNLI for helping to contain the fire and for saving the Waterfront Bar, Atlantis Nightclub and the many concession units on the deck,” he said.

“They worked tirelessly for many hours trying to combat the blaze against the wind fanning the flames further down the pier. It was heartbreaking watching as the fire took hold and ravaged the main arcade building. Even though the Blue Room has been totally destroyed by fire, we have to be grateful that the rest of the splendid Pier was saved.

“The Pier is seen by many as the heart of Eastbourne seafront. It evokes so many memories for so many people. It is only when you nearly lose something that you really start to appreciate what it means to everyone.

“The people of Eastbourne have been unbelievable - the camaraderie, the pulling together - true “Dunkirk spirit”. There are too many people, organisations and businesses to list individually, but I would like to express my thanks to all. All parties have been tremendous in helping us pick up the pieces, in helping seasonal staff find alternative employment, and in helping concessionaires carry on their businesses.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page