THE Town Council’s Hailsham In Bloom Committee has initiated plans for a number of interesting projects for the town’s South & South East in Bloom competition entry next year.
These include new major projects and continuations of existing ones. The main projects proposed are:
• Enhancement of a new pond at the Welbury Farm development in Hailsham
• Development of public woodland at the new development east of Battle Road
• Additional planting features for the newly created ‘Hailsham Heritage Trail’ • Development of the newly-secured plant nursery at New Road Nurseries
• Additional improvements to the Dennis King Memorial Sensory Garden
• Mass spring bulb planting to be undertaken in the late autumn
• Various fundraising events including a recycled fashion show and quiz nights
A number of smaller projects have also been outlined for the next year, including additional public open days, further restoration of the Hailsham Country Park’s wildflower meadow and Hailsham In Bloom local competitions.
Councillor Richard Grocock, Deputy Town Mayor and newly-appointed chairman of the Hailsham In Bloom Committee, said, “Hailsham In Bloom, as a year-round campaign which aims to make our town a cleaner and greener place to live, work and visit, has resulted in residents, schools, businesses and voluntary organisations working together for the benefit of the community since its launch in 2007.
“This year, a number of projects have been planned for different areas of the town, some of which will commence in the coming weeks.
“We will be aiming to increase community and volunteer involvement through specific working group projects or on an ad-hoc basis with some of the larger projects.
“I would also like to take this opportunity to encourage local businesses and community groups to assist with these projects by way of sponsorship, donations, provision of tools, plants and manpower.”
Members of the public are free to attend the fortnightly committee meetings held in the Fleur de Lys Meeting Room at the Town Council Offices, to offer their suggestions.
The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, July 25, at 7.30pm.
For further details on the Hailsham In Bloom project and all sponsorship/donation enquiries, contact Hailsham Town Council on 01323 841702 (during office hours) or visit www.hailshaminbloom.org.