Firefighters were called to tackle an out of control bonfire in Uckfield this afternoon (Wednesday, September 9).
A crew from Uckfield Fire Station arrived at the property on the High Street at 1.10pm.
Firefighters used one hose reel jet to tackle the flames.
A spokesman for the fire service said, “East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service would like the public to take care when building a bonfire as fire can spread easily. If you have a bonfire, please follow these simple guidelines.
“Where and how you build your bonfire is important; only burn dry material not damp, which causes more smoke
build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees, check there are no cables - like telephone wires - above the bonfire, don’t use petrol or paraffin to get the fire going - it may get out of control quickly.
“Once the bonfire is lit; keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby - in case of emergencies, don’t leave the bonfire unattended, keep children and pets away from the bonfire, don’t throw any fireworks into the fire, don’t burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint - many produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury.
“Once the bonfire has died down, spray the embers with water to stop it reigniting.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.