Firefighters tackle Hailsham oven fire.

Fire
Fire

Firefighters were called to a house in Hailsham after an oven fire at around 4.42pm this afternoon (September 11).

Crews were called after a pan caught fire on the hob at the home in The Cedars, Hailsham.

No-one was injured but there was a small amount of fire and smoke damage caused by the incident.

Firefighters used one hose reel jet and a CO2 fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.

This accidental kitchen fire follows on from a number of cooking-related incidents this week.

Crew Commander Kevin Clift, who attended a similar incident earlier in the week, would like to remind residents of the dangers surrounding cooking in the kitchen, he said, “It is important to keep both the cooker and grill pans free from fats and oils, which can easily catch fire.

“Also, there should be a working smoke alarm to alert the resident to any early signs of fire, as well as regularly testing them to ensure they are in good working order.

“If you ever become aware of a fire then always get out, stay out and call the fire service out.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display

3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.