Firefighters called to town centre department store

0
Have your say

Firefighters were called to a town centre department store this evening (Thursday) after members of the public saw smoke coming from the building.

Traffic was diverted after crews arrived at the Debenhams store shortly after 9.10pm.

It was found smoke was coming from the boiler which was situated in the ground floor of the building.

Bob Newton, crew manager for Green Watch, said this was not unusual and was due to the cold evening.

He added, “We did an initial inspection and couldn’t see anything at all. Then we noticed a lot of smoke coming from the chimney.

“The boiler was letting off smoke.

“The people concerned did the right thing in calling us out.”

The manager of the store and key holder arrived at the scene to assist firefighters.

Firefighters left the scene shortly before 11pm.