Firefighters attend kitchen blaze caused by woman’s coat

Fire engine
Fire engine

An Eastbourne woman set fire to her kitchen last night after accidentally turning her toaster on when she threw her coat on the kitchen top.

The lady had been at the gym and returned to her house in Langney Rise in the early evening on Tuesday, January 13.

She dumped her coat on the kitchen top, only for it to trigger the toaster and set fire to it.

The woman managed to extinguish the fire herself but the blaze caused damaged to one of the units in her kitchen and the fire crew was called just after 7pm.

She was treated for smoke inhalation but there were no other reported injuries.

Firefighters from Eastbourne Community Fire Station were also called to a chimney fire in Churchdale Road, Eastbourne, and they have urged residents to get their chimneys cleaned at least every six months.