WASTE deliveries to the Newhaven incinerator could treble under controversial new plans which have been submitted.
Anger has been mounting over the proposals and tomorrow (Thursday) night Seaford town councillors will have their say on the application.
A limit had been put on how many deliveries could be made at the site, but now Veolia Environmental Services wants to increase this from 10 to up to 35 on certain bank and public holidays.
Seaford and Newhaven MP Norman Baker met with Veolia executive director Robert Hunt on Friday to stress the unpopularity of recent proposals.
Seaford resident Geoff King was equally concerned, saying, “The number of waste deliveries at certain times was restricted by the original planning consent with very good reason.
“This was to alleviate the heavy goods vehicle traffic problems for local residents.
“If these waste deliveries were allowed to be increased at these very sensitive times such as certain bank and public holidays then any safeguards for local residents are eroded.”
The application comes just under a year since Veolia submitted an application to remove the restrictions entirely during public and Bank Holidays but this was withdrawn following an outcry from the community.
They submitted the latest application in January this year.
Mr Baker, who urged East Sussex County Council to stand up for the community when its planning committee makes a final decision on the application, said, “Local people and I overwhelmingly said no to the incinerator, yet the council said yes.
“I do not doubt that local people will say no to this application as well.
“The issue is whether the council ignores them as usual, or for once decides to stand up for the residents of Newhaven.
“Basically, limiting lorry movements on bank holidays was one of the only things that came out of the permission which might be considered as a ‘concession’ for local people.
“But, if this application is approved, I have no doubt that any remaining positive view that the local residents have of the county council will go up in smoke – much like the vast amounts of waste being transported to the incinerator.”
A Veolia environmental services spokesperson said, “In anticipation of the future requirements of the Waste Collection Authorities (WCAs), there is a greater need for waste deliveries to the Newhaven Energy Recovery Facility at North Quay on public and bank holidays.
“Therefore we are processing a variation to our current planning condition to support this which includes up to 35 vehicle deliveries permitted to the site on a public/bank holiday – this compares to the current 10 permitted.”
A spokesman for East Sussex County Council added, “Veolia has withdrawn its previous application for unrestricted waste deliveries on Bank & Public Holidays and has submitted a new planning application for up to 35 waste deliveries on bank holidays and public holidays to the Energy Recovery Facility in Newhaven.
“The county council has informed all those who commented on the previous application of the new submission.
“Anyone wishing to comment on the new application should write to the Head of Planning at the county council or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.”