THE FIGHT isn’t over – that’s according to one resident after learning proposals for a multi-million pound scheme for a school in Seaford have been backed.
The controversial plans to demolish Bowden House School in Firle Road and replace it with a new one has caused concern among residents who felt the new design did not fit in with the surrounding area.
It was turned down by Lewes District Council back in May but since then The Gazette has learnt that the project will be going ahead after an appeal was allowed.
The school, which has received a grant under the Building Schools for the Future scheme, is managed by the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and provides specialist, residential education for boys aged nine to 16 with emotional and behavioural difficulties.
All existing building will be demolished and replaced with a new teaching block, sports hall and residential block.
A spokesperson for Tower Hamlets told the Gazette that the £9million project would be proceeding and work was due to start in March, and was expected to take around 12 months to complete.
Many residents turned out to meetings where the plans were discussed by Seaford Town Council before a final decision was made by Lewes District Council.
Homeowners main concerns were the design of the building and that the current school building was a ‘landmark’ in the town.
Paul Lambert, of Bowden Rise, one of the residents concerned about the plans, spoke to the Gazette on Monday.
He said, “There’s an appeal being made to David Cameron and to the minister for the communities because the coalition government are looking at a bill this afternoon which looks at how decision that affect communities are made by this community.
“A lot of people are very upset about it.
“The fight isn’t over, but we’re going to have to raise the game in terms of publicity.
“What we haven’t got a clue about is what the planning gain will be and what are they going to do about parking and pavements?
“It’s very disappointing, we want the whole decision overturned.”