Eastbourne vet issues beach poison warning

editorial image
0
Have your say

An Eastbourne vet is warning dog owners to be vigilant after a poisonous substance has been found found on beaches in Sussex.

St Annes Vets is warning dog owners to keep an eye out for signs their pet may have eaten palm oil.

Although not harmful to humans, the yellow, waxy substance which can cause pancreatitis - a severe and potentially life-threatening condition in many animals.

Menna Field said, “The best thing to do is to call your vet as soon as you can so they can induce vomiting and feed them charcoal to limit the absorbtion of the product.

“If they have eaten it without owners noticing, which is very easily done, then they should be watching out for vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy.”

Anyone who is concerned their pets are suffering from these symptoms is asked to contact their local vet.

While palm oil has not been found in the immediate area of Eastbourne it has been found on beaches between Worthing in West Sussex and Thanet in Kent.

It has also been found at Splash Point, near Seaford.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display

3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.