Eastbourne’s Redoubt is one of 77 projects to receive a slice of £3 million Government funding today (December 11).
The money has been earmarked for repairs to the moat wall and gun carriage and the creation of a maze for visitors.
Communities Minister Brandon Lewis said this Coastal Revival funding will help secure these key seaside attractions “for generations to come”.
The bid for the cash says the money will also be used to ‘encourage footfall further east along the coast and become a welcoming, accessible space for visitors and residents to reflect on their heritage.
Ranging from theatres to piers and lidos to lighthouses, the projects will each receive grants of up to £50,000 to kick-start restoration work.
They are also set to attract £30 million in private and public investment and could support up to 1,500 jobs.
In the South-East region, 16 projects have been awarded almost £700,000.
Communities Minister Brandon Lewis said, “From Berwick to St Ives, our coastal communities boast some iconic attractions, with millions visiting them each year.
“But some of our best-loved buildings are falling into a state of disrepair - the £3 million Coastal Revival Fund aims to restore them to their former glory.
“This funding will now kick-start the restoration work for these 77 projects across the country, so they can continue to be enjoyed by local people and tourists alike for generations to come.”
Since 2012, over £120 million has been invested in coastal towns through the Coastal Communities Fund, which is helping local people regenerate cherished seaside areas.
Earlier this year, the Government announced 118 Coastal Community Teams, to encourage local businesses, councils and voluntary groups to work together to create a long-term strategy for their community.
Today’s £3million Coastal Revival Fund forms part of these wider efforts, and will help communities to start the work to bring back into use buildings which have suffered years of disrepair.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.