The East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust made a deficit of £5.2m in the first month of the new financial year - £500,000 worse than predicted.
The Trust said the main reason for the overspend was because it had to seek ‘third party support’ to help with an endoscopy backlog and to meet its referral to treatment target in orthopaedics.
The Trust was also hit with a £230,000 fine for failing to meet certain targets.
Half of this fine was imposed after the Trust failed to meet the target to see 95 percent of accident and emergency patients within four hours.
In April, 83.9 percent of patients were seen in this four hour window.
Since the start of 2016, the Trust has not managed to hit the 95 percent target once, managing 84.2 percent in January, 84.4 percent in February and 79 in March.
During each of these months, the Conquest and DGH combined had seen an extra 1,000 patients through the doors of their A&E departments.
But the good news is A&E has not been on ‘Black Status’, since March 7 and areas in the hospital which had been given over to help the hospitals cope with the number of patients pouring in to A&E have now reverted back to their previous purpose.
Trust chairman David Clayton-Smith said while the Trust’s finances felt “more stable” he was “disappointed” at the £500,000 deficit.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.