Eastbourne man ended up with ‘second degree burn’ on bus

Mr Thornton-Green's burn mark
Mr Thornton-Green's burn mark

A woman claims her husband ended up with a second degree burn on his ankle from a strip heater on the bus.

Victoria Thornton-Green, of South Street, said her husband Mark was travelling on the 1A service from the DGH at around 8.30am on July 7 when the incident happened.

She said: “My husband got a Stagecoach bus home from a night shift at the hospital and ended up with a second degree burn on his ankle from the strip heater on the bus.

“He was wearing thick trousers and work boots but it still managed to leave him with a severe burn. This will leave a nasty scar and he is not allowed to wear shorts for the rest of the summer now as he has to keep it out of the sun to heal properly.

“If this had been a child or an elderly person this potentially could have been a third degree burn. It was a dry day and not cold so there was no need for the heater to even be on.”

A spokesman for Stagecoach South East said: “Customer safety is our highest priority and any reports of injury sustained on our buses is taken extremely seriously.

“We can’t comment on individual cases, but can confirm that we received a complaint from Mrs Thornton-Green on July 9 regarding an incident on July 7. We investigated the matter immediately and responded to her directly.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display

3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.