A MAN has been sentenced to 15 years behind bars for a vicious attack which left his victim with a life-changing brain injury.
Daniel Portela, of Ceylon Place, was sentenced at Lewes Crown Court on Monday.
He was found guilty of grievous bodily harm on October 17 following a week-long trial at the same court.
Portela attacked 32-year-old Carl Anderson in Bourne Street on March 22, leaving him lying in a pool of blood in a coma.
Mr Anderson was taken to Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre, Haywards Heath, after the attack and is receiving ongoing treatment for his serious condition.
At the time, doctors said he was critically ill with life-threatening injuries.
Detective Constable Julian Stokes, from East Sussex CID, said, “I am pleased with the sentence that Portela received today (November 14).
“It was an horrific, sustained and unprovoked attack on an innocent man, whose life will never be the same again.
“Portela’s victim was found unconscious outside the Coda bar in Bourne Street, Eastbourne in the early hours of March 22.
“It was apparent that he had been badly beaten and sadly due to his injuries he will never be able to live independently again.”
Following sentencing, the victim’s family said, “We are pleased that justice has been done today and that Daniel Portela has been punished for his despicable act against our son.
“Sadly we had lost touch with our son and were unable to find him prior to the attack.
“It was heartbreaking to see him after all these years lying in a hospital bed with such awful injuries.”