Three arrests follow town centre attacks

0
Have your say

THREE men have been arrested in connection with suspected racially aggravated assaults in Eastbourne town centre last week.

The incidents both happened in the early hours of Thursday, December 30, in North Street.

A 33-year-old victim received cuts and bruises to his face and body and a second man, aged 23, was held in a headlock.

Inspector Rachel Barrow said they were two separate incidents.

“Although the victims did not know each other,” she said, “we believe the assaults were carried out by the same three suspects.

“These assaults were entirely unprovoked and have left the victims very shaken.

“We know there were a lot of people in the area around the time of the assaults.

“We urge them to please get in touch with the police if they have any information that would help us with our enquiries.

“Racist abuse of any kind, whether verbal or physical, is taken extremely seriously by Sussex Police and will not be tolerated.”

Two suspects, a 22-year-old man and a 23-year-old man, were later arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated assault.

One is from Eastbourne and the other from Portsmouth.

A third man was also arrested in the afternoon on suspicion of being involved in a racially aggravated assault.

The 22-year-old arrested on suspicion of being involved in both assaults is from Eastbourne.

All three men have been bailed until Friday, January 28, pending further enquiries.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Sussex Police on 0845 60 70 999 quoting serial 88 of 30/12 or anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.