Man, 39, dies from stab wounds

Police at the scene
Police at the scene
0
Have your say

A MURDER investigation is underway after a 39-year-old man died from knife wounds in Ceylon Place on Monday night.

Police and ambulance crews were called to the scene at around 9pm after a resident in the town centre street called 999.

A 39-year-old man, thought to be from Eastbourne, was found lying in the street and despite the efforts of paramedics, died a short while later.

A 48-year-old, also believed to be a local man, was arrested by police on suspicion of murder.

The arrested man sustained injuries as a result of the incident but police said they were not knife injuries and are not life-threatening.

The arrested man was receiving treatment at Eastbourne DGH under police guard as the Gazette went to press.

Police said he will be taken into police custody once he is discharged from hospital.

Detective Chief Inspector Nick May from the Sussex Police Major Crime Branch, who is leading the murder enquiry, spoke to press about the incident at his base in Hammonds Drive, Eastbourne, yesterday (Tuesday) morning.

He said, “There will be a thorough investigation into this incident where a man has tragically lost his life.

“However, we are satisfied that no-one else was involved.”

Chf Insp May said the 39-year-old man had died as a result of an argument which had started in a flat before ‘spilling out to the street’.

He said, “The main incident was contained within the flat and the man ended up on the pavement outside, which is where paramedics struggled to save him without sucess.”

He explained the deceased man and the arrested man were known to each other but neither lived at the Ceylon Place flat.

They were both thought to be visiting friends at the address.

Chf Insp May said police were struggling to confirm the identity of the man and are currently seeking his next of kin.

A police cordon has been set up around the scene with officers searching bins in the street and making house-to-house enquiries.

Chf Insp May said one weapon had been recovered but explained it was very early stages in the investigation.

He said police were keen to hear from anyone who was in Ceylon Place between 6pm and 10pm on Monday.

He urged any witnesses to make contact with police by phoning 0845 60 70 999, quoting Operation Govan.

Did you know the victim? Contact reporter Juliet Perry on juliet.perry@trbeckett.co.uk to pay tribute.