Gunman still in coma as shoot-out investigated

0
Have your say

A GUNMAN remains in hospital in a medically-induced coma following a shoot-out with police.

Paul Allwright suffered life- threatening injuries after a five-hour stand-off with officers at his North Way home in Seaford in the early hours of Sunday.

Shocked residents were woken by gunfire and helicopters during the incident, which Sussex Police are treating as an attempted murder of police officers.

The 62-year-old was wounded after exchanging fire with armed officers shortly before 1am.

Police said officers were called to a ‘domestic incident’ at about 7.10pm on the Saturday. A woman left the house safely a short time later.

Some people who had gone out for the evening were not allowed to pass the cordons and had to spend the night at nearby Cradle Hill Community Primary School, which was used as a base for emergency services.

A shotgun was recovered from the scene of the incident, which saw two police officers slightly injured, although not from gunshot wounds.

One neighbour in the usually quiet street said they heard about four shots and said a man was swearing at police, telling them to go away.

Another said they heard a couple of cracks, adding, “It was a bit sinister with the police outside with automatic weapons.”

Earlier in the week, locals were thanked for their patience by Chief Inspector Jason Tingley, police commander for the Lewes District, as were staff at Cradle Hill Community Primary School.

House-to-house enquiries have been carried out, along with reassurance visits from the local neighbourhood police team officers.

Police left the area on Wednesday night.

Following the incident, Mr Allwright was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.

He remains in a coma and his condition was described as stable. The shooting is being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.