Eastbourne man convicted of rape 20 years after attack

A RAPIST who attacked a woman in her own home and then returned a month later to burgle her is facing jail.

Anthony Jordan, 50, of Susans Road, Eastbourne, was caught red-handed when he set off a panic alarm that had been installed after the rape.

He admitted the burglary when he was arrested in 1991, but avoided being prosecuted for the rape for 20 years because of primitive forensic techniques in use at the time.

Jordan was only linked to the crime last year when a cold case review using new methods gave a one-in-a-billion DNA match.

He was convicted of the attack in Clapton, East London, following a trial at the Old Bailey and will return to court to be sentenced on May 9.

Judge Peter Thornton QC told him he had put his victim through ‘every woman’s worst nightmare’.

Jordan’s victim, then aged 50, awoke to find her in bed with him at her home in Clapton, east London, at around 2am on May 16, 1991, said prosecutor Peter Glenser.

He held her down and placed a pillow over her face while he raped her.

“It seemed, she thought, to go on forever,” said Mr Glenser. “The pillow was still over her face and she was trying to breathe through it.

“On any view her’s was a terrifying ordeal. She thought she was going to be murdered.”

After the attack was over, the rapist told her, ‘Give me a few minutes and you can make your phone calls.’

Jordan, who had broken in through a lounge window, made off with £10 from his victim’s pure as well as her cigarettes and lighter.

One month later, on June 16, he was arrested after he tripped a panic alarm the victim had installed after she was attacked, having again broken a window to gain entry.

“Found crouching fully dressed in the dark in the lavatory was this defendant,” said Mr Glenser.

“He had been caught in the middle of burgling his victim’s flat, and had returned to the scene of the crime he committed a month earlier.

“He had stacked a number of items near the door ready for removal and had handled and activated the panic button, possibly without realising what it was.

“The method of entry on this occasion was the same window as it had been for the earlier break-in.”

Jordan was immediately treated as a suspect for the rape, but DNA profiling in use at the time could only produce a one-in-160 match.

He pleaded guilty to burglary in September 1991, but charges in respect of the sex attack were dropped.

Jordan was re-arrested last year when DNA analysis of his victim’s dressing gown using new techniques produced a one-in-a-billion match.

He gave no comment in his police interview and did not give evidence during the trial, but his barrister, Christine Henson, claimed vital DNA evidence could have been contaminated.