Council U-turn on circus plans

Five Acre Field
Five Acre Field

COUNCIL chiefs have made a U-turn over the decision to hold the town’s annual circus on Five Acre Field.

People living in the area reacted angrily when Eastbourne Borough Council applied to hold events on the field.

The council said it needed an events licence because the big screen for the Olympic in Princes Park clashed with the Moscow State Circus, which will be coming to town at the beginning of August.

The council agreed to a one-off licence for the circus at a licencing meeting earlier this month, but has now backed down completely and decided to hold the annual event in its usual location of Princes Park.

A council spokesperson said, “Having asked local residents for their views about the location of the circus, the council has decided to use Princes Park, rather than Five Acre Field.

“This follows consultation with the local community and the council’s health and safety advisers.

“While both sites are suitable for the staging of this type of event, the council feel the use of Princes Park is most appropriate on this occasion.”

Noise and safety were the main concerns from residents in the road which back on to Five Acre Field.

Conservative councillor David Elkin, who had previously accused the council of failing to address the concerns of the residents, said, “I am thrilled for residents that this unpopular action has been exposed and a U-turn forced.

“They didn’t consider local people throughout all of this and I believe this shameful episode marks a turning point.”

His views were echoed by borough councillors Philip Ede, Gordon Jenkins and Patrick Warner.

The circus will now be held at Princes park from August 2 to August 7.