Candles can create a warm glow on a winter’s evening but the town’s fire commander is warning of the risks this week.
Candle Safety Week runs from November 17 to 23 and Dave Sheppard, borough commander for Eastbourne, says care needs to be taken.
Candle fires are responsible for around 350 casualties each year and nearly 40 per cent of all fires started by candles result in a death or injury.
Mr Sheppard said, “Candles are a typical sight in many homes, scenting our rooms and giving an atmospheric glow to cold winter nights.
“But it’s important to remember that a candle is not just a decorative feature. Left unattended, an open flame scenting your home could leave a trail of devastation.
“Place your lit candles with extra care, away from curtains, pets and children and always remember to put them out when you leave the room, even for a moment.
“Even with these precautions it’s vital to be prepared should the worst happen.
“A working smoke alarm can give you the vital time you need to get out, stay out and call 999.
“Keep yourself and your loved ones safe by testing your alarm regularly and by practicing your escape routes.”
Free home safety advice is available to everyone by contacting East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service on 0800 177 7069 or by visiting www.esfrs.org.
Free home visits are available to anyone who is over 65, single parents, for disabled people or those with reduced mobility, people with hearing or sight impairment, smokers or anyone living in rented or social housing.
Candle Safety Week is part of the national Fire Kills campaign. See www.facebook.com/firekills.