AFTER a devastating fire almost one year ago, Harrisons Sandwich Bar is rising from the ashes.
Kim Funnell and Clive Benzie had customers queuing outside the door but on April 10 last year fire ripped through the flat above and caused extensive damage to the premises and their livelihood.
Now, ten months and ten days later, the sandwich shop will reopen on Monday (February 20) and both Clive and Kim are looking forward to seeing all their regular customers again.
Kim said, “It was just devastating when we first found out. It didn’t sink in for a while but then we started to realise that we had lost our shop and our livelihood. It was terrible.
“It felt like I was crying for about two months.
“I can now totally sympathise with people who have had fires. Before this happened I felt sorry for people who had been through fires but now I realise just how devastating it is.”
Kim and Clive had to count everything for insurance purposes and after asbestos was found in the building, the whole sandwich bar premises had to undergo a complete refurbishment.
Kim said, “Everything has been replaced and it is now all fresh and new.
“We are really looking forward to getting back in there, opening up and seeing all our new customers. I can’t wait.”