This week’s Eastbourne Bonfire Society celebrations which were under threat because of a cash crisis have been saved.
Organisers say they are delighted that the parade and fireworks can now go ahead as planned on Saturday October 5 thanks to a sponsorship deal from Southern Water.
The annual celebrations, which last year saw thousands of people gather on the beach at Fisherman’s Green to take part in a procession along the seafront to the Bandstand for a firework display, was in doubt because of a lack of cash and sponsors.
A rise in insurance costs and other outgoings led to fears the society would not be able to stage the popular event on the town’s calendar.
Bonfire Society boss David Oliver said honorary vice-president Stephen Lloyd MP had helped secure sponsorship from the water company, which is responsible for waste water in the Eastbourne area.
He said, “We are very pleased that with the help of Southern Water, it ensures the town’s October event goes ahead as planned.
Southern Water’s project manager Peter Savill said, “We are delighted to be able to help Eastbourne’s Bonfire night celebrations.
“It is an important community event and we are proud to be a part of it.”
The sponsorship deal comes as Southern Water is in the middle of a £6 million investment on upgrades and improvements at the Waste Water treatment works in the town, which is six years old and its equipment now needs updating.
Next weeks bobfire celebrations promise to be the best yet say organisers with more bonfire societies joining in from across the county, new drumming groups and a new longer route.
The celebrations begin at 7.30pm at The Crown & Anchor in Marine Parade, which is the headquarters of Eastbourne Bonfire Society, with an extended seafront procession finishing up at the Wish Tower slopes for a spectacular firework display and bonfire on the beach.