Hailsham Bonfire Society will be back next year after hundreds of people turned out at its annual Guy Fawkes celebrations on Saturday (October 19) raising hundreds of pounds.
The society was appealing for members and donations after dwindling numbers meant the society’s demise looked inevitable unless they could drum up more support.
Now Mike Farley from the society says he can ‘categorically state’ that the bonfire will be back next year after more than £500 of donations were made directly to the society.
Mike said, “Regardless of the struggle we have endured this year our event has been an outstanding success; we sold out of programmes and the residents of Hailsham turned out in their hundreds to see the event. The increased support can also be seen in our charity collecting buckets with the total raised being just over £1,000, £300 more than last year.
“Before the firework display we made a direct appeal to the crowd for support and at the end of the fireworks we received a rapturous round of applause, I can categorically state that we will be back next year.”
Hailsham Bonfire Society said it would like to pass its gratitude to everyone who has helped it. It said without their support the celebrations would not have taken place.
The society said it would also like to pass special thanks to Hailsham Town Council, Brad Mitchell, Hailsham Scaffolding, PJ Skips and Greenacre Recycling for their generous donations and assistance. The money raised on the night will go to St John Ambulance, 1st Hailsham Scouts and Sussex Search and Rescue.
The society still needs members and donations to ensure its future. To donate or become a member contact Mike on 01273 510753.