Barbecue starts Eastbourne shed fire

Fire and Rescue news.
Fire and Rescue news.

Firefighters have issued a safety warning after a shed fire in Eastbourne Sunday (September 13).

Eastbourne firefighters were called to Southern Road after a gas barbecue started a shed fire.

The fire was put out before firefighters arrived but safety advice was offered to the residents.

A spokesman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue service said, “Having a barbecue on a sunny day is a great way to enjoy the summer, but it’s also a very easy way for people to get burnt and property damage, if a few simple rules are not followed.”

The fire service asks people to set up barbecues on level ground away from bushes, tents or other buildings, put only about two inches of charcoal in the barbecue and keep the rest of the fuel away from the fire.

They also advise people only to use recommended fluids or firelighters and never petrol, to be careful when cooking fatty foods, to wear suitable clothing, to make sure the coals are cool before trying to move the barbecue and to empty ash onto garden soil and never into a dustbin.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display

3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.