Film review: Lockout
(15) 95mins. Directors: James Mather, Stephen St Leger. Starring; Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Joseph Gilgun. Three out of five stars.
ALTHOUGH the plot for Lockout brings to mind several similar movies, it is, in fact, a pretty good attempt to add some freshness to a familiar storyline.
The basic premise of a hero, down on his luck, being sent in to rescue people from a fortress type building in the future has been seen in films such as Escape from New York/LA and The Rock.
However, Lockout adds some great humour, good acting for the most part and superior dialogue.
I had a feeling I wasn’t going to enjoy it, but came out pleasantly surprised.
Guy Pearce plays CIA agent Snow who is framed for a murder and is waiting to be sent to a high security prison in space where the inmates are put in a cryogenic state to quietly serve their sentence.
However, the US President’s daughter (Emilie Warnock) is on a fact-finding mission to the prison when all hell breaks loose, mainly in the form of two Scottish inmates.
So Snow is lined up to save the day, though he has his own agenda in an attempt to clear his name.
Joseph Gilgun (actually born in Lancashire) is excellent as the demented Scot Hydell, sporting some great gold teeth, scars and a dodgy eye as well as spitting out his dialogue with a terrifying creepiness.
Vincent Regun as the quieter but equally unplesant Alex is also great.
Sadly, Maggie Grace as the president’s daughter doesn’t have as consistently strong role to play as the others.
However, the action and nice line in comic quips from Pearce make this a thoroughly enjoyable evening out.
- Workers trapped after wall collapses in Eastbourne
- Top doctors at DGH claim paediatric service is unsafe
- Fire crews in exercise at Langney Shopping Centre
- BREAKING NEWS: Former vicar Rideout found guilty of child sex abuse
- BREAKING NEWS: Rideout sentenced to 10 years in jail for ‘systematic’ child abuse
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Eastbourne
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: West